Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My TOFW Notes:

I am putting these notes here so that I have an easy place to refer to them.  These are the notes that I took while at the Pocatello TOFW event and are things that stuck out to me.  In comparing notes with my family members, we got a lot of different things out of each of the speakers.

TOFW Day 1:

[Choose to Become] it's not about doing more but Being More!
What do we want to be?
What does Heavenly Father want us to become?
Begin to open your heart to all of your possibilities and all the Lord knows is possible for you.

Jenny Oaks Baker played several Violin pieces throughout the presentations on Friday night.  She also told some stories about personal experiences.  She also announced that she is working on a Disney album!
"Have you prayed?" (about this problem that you are dealing with)
Pray that we can be more loving in our home. {that Mylie can be happier}
LOVE IS SPOKEN HERE ---> and I am thankful for that!

Jason Wright:
His parents "chose to become people who have their eyes open to service" HERO!
1st Corinthians 13 Paul speaking discussing the high status of Charity "the greatest of these is Charity"
Challenge: Choose to become someone who never walks out their front door without their eyes wide open.
Open your eyes and say "Today I will serve someone"

Heidi S. Swinton: The ONE
she was on a couples mission in England and got a call from Pres. Monson.  They chatted for about 10 minutes about the mission and missionaries.  He then asker her to write his biography.  She started the next day (in the evenings after doing missionary work or while her husband interviewed missionaries or was in meetings).
D&C 100:1 Lord to Joseph Smith "..Your family is in mine hands..."  The Lord has all power.  He reaches down and changes things. (one of her kids overcame a sickness and another had a child they thought they couldn't have while they were on their mission!)
We are connected to the heavens.
This life is about what we are becoming inside and that is manifest on the outside.
D&C 84:88 Lord: "I will go before your face... I will be on your right hand and on your left."
The sweetest experience in mortality is when the Lord will call on you and you will GO.
Be of good cheer for I the Lord am with you. D&C 68:6
Pres. Hinkley about being President: "I didn't expect it to be so lonely." "but I am NEVER ALONE because the Lord is on my right hand and on my left."
The Savior says, "I'm right here."
When he speaks to our hearts - LISTEN!  When that spirit comes into our hearts - it isn't just for us.  The spirit prompts us to help others.  Sit by that person, send that thank you note, etc.
In reaching out to rescue others, sometimes the Lord rescues us.
More Savior like Thee.
Show Love, Compassion, Integrity, Tenderness, etc towards others.
Pres. Monson loves to say "Top 'o the mornin' to ya" and smile.

TOFW Day 2:

Focus on simple things "Smell the Vanilla" (she and her daughter ALWAYS smell the vanilla when they are baking before they pour it in)
Choose one thing to focus on this year to be - to focus on the woman you want to be.

Mercy River (Soni, Whitney, Brooke) a group of beautiful singers who also have a great sense of humor performed throughout the day and also shared some fun stories/experiences.
Whitney: Like Peter we are all going to have times in our lives where we are drowning and we'll need saving (accept help).  I know that it will all be okay EVENTUALLY but that doesn't mean it's ok right now.  Unlock the healing power of his living waters "Mercy River"
Brooke: Romans 8:35 "who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?"  He doesn't love us because we are perfect, he love us because He is perfect!
Soni: Alma 26 - wanderers in a strange land.  Remember that heaven is much closer than we think it is.

Amanda Dickson: Friends
A lack of friends is as bad as smoking 15 cigarettes a day or being an alcoholic :(
A friend: A person with whom I may be sincere.
Women - we long for each other's company.  We are drawn together.
Book Clubs = friendships.
Show more interest in daughter's friendships to connect better with daughter.
God is watching - give him a GOOD show :)
We have to learn to be better friends to ourselves.  Do something for yourself to "Feel Floaty" (happy)

Brad Wilcox:
"The command: Be Ye Perfect is not idealistic gas.  Nor is it a command..." (CS Lewis - find rest of quote)
Through the atonement we can be changed and transformed.
2nd Temple Rec. question: "Do you have a testimony of Jesus that he is our Savior and Redeemer?"
If we view the Atonement as a way to be resurrected - then why live?  Look beyond Jesus' saving role and see his redeeming role.  A Redeemer is one who MAKES US BETTER.
If our goal is only to live with God - then why did we leave him?  We need to be LIKE him! Not just to go home - but to feel at home there.
The Atonement is fundamentally a doctrine of human development.
Come unto Christ and be perfected in him (with him).
Saving = unto a remission of your sins
Redeemer = as ye may become holy.
This life isn't just about being good, it's about becoming better.  Jesus' sacrifice and suffering is to make us better.  Suffering alone does not change us.  We turn to Christ because it is only with him that change is possible.
We don't get to heaven on Jesus' coattails, he changes us so we fit his coat.
Jesus has the power to change things when we need or want change.  Don't deny Christ's miracle to Redeem - to change things.
*Jesus chose to become like us so we can become like him!*
A big bang can't know you and love you like Heavenly Father can.
~Why am I doning this?  Because God CALLED me and NEEDED me!~
What are the things that I haven't done and need to do better?
 - find more study time & read
 - work hard and serve
 - pray sincerely
 - ask questions!
Does he KNOW and LOVE me? YES!!!

Macy Robison: Children will Listen
I'm in charge of writing the story of my life and the person who I'll be.
Be the mom with the Yellow Balloons! or the cookies & milk!
Sunsets - when she sees one she says "Thanks George" as a way of lovingly remembering one who has passed thinking that he had made that beautiful end to the day just for her.
Knight in Shining Armor = good husband
Rusty Armor = ex-husband
It's this day, not me, that's bound to go away.
Do not be the kind of person that allows yourself to feel sorry for yourself.  Have hope.  Things are hard sometimes but we are being prepared for things we cannot see.
There are always hard things!
being just a "housewife"
It takes a village to raise a child and to continue raising a woman.

Merilee Boyack: Blazing Your Own Trail
Am I supposed to be on that trail? Should I copy her?
B = Bold. Prophetess Deborah was also a judge.  she was a bold woman & leader
E = Eternally Minded.  Ida Mae Faulkner
C = Creative.  Minerva Taggart from Idaho was a Painter
O = Be Outward Focused.  Emmaline B. Wells
M = Meek.  Eddajean Powell (no neck, primary teacher)
E = Enlightened.  Sharon Slater.

Be Bold and reject Satan's messages.  Tell Satan to "Pound Sand"  I AM BOLD!
Each of us can be faithful dedicated women.  We can impact the generations that follow us.  I AM ETERNALLY MINDED!
We are creative women of talent.  We each have an inherent wish to create.  Remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative being in the universe.  I AM CREATIVE!
Service in the Community.  If we will focus our efforts outward we will be noticed in that way.  Heavenly Father will bless us to know who we can help.  I AM OUTWARD FOCUSED!
We are meek women. 1. Love the Lord with our our might, mind and strength. 2. Love our neighbors as ourselves.  She came, learned, loved and was successful. I AM MEEK!
Proclamation to the Family.  Educate others on dangers facing the family.  Stand For the Family (.org) book by Sharon Slater.  I AM ENLIGHTENED
Become strong once again.  Become YOU.  Become Unique.

Kris Belcher: Hindsight
When we are in the middle of the trial - how do we realize that Christ is with us?
How do I feel his love during my trials?
Found eye cancer at 7 months old.  Radiation cured.  Lost vision in left eye at 9 years old.  Legally blind.  Lost vision in other eye later in life because of a cancer caused by radiation when she was a baby.  Needed to have right eye removed to remove the remaining cancer.
My life is in Your hands - help me to survive this trial.
The Resurrection provides hope but doesn't take away pain.
Some difficulties come from sin, but we have repentance and forgiveness to help us overcome them.
As dark as our lives may seem there is always light there as long as we turn to it.
Praise God, sing and thank Him.  The difficulties will "blow us to the promised land."
Alma teaches Helaman to 'Look to God and Live'   LIVE LOOKING TO GOD!
Have his strength to get through the storm back to our Heavenly Father.
Dear Heavenly Father - express emotions - close in the name of Christ.
Turn complaints into Prayer.
Nephi teaches: Before we do anything, Pray to God.
Focus up and out instead of down and in.
"I don't want to do the laundry - I get to" :)
Learn to Laugh.
Do your best and try not to forget your eyeball.

No comments: