Wednesday, March 28, 2012

New York City - Day 7

The big day!  We were so excited to be heading into the big city today!
Lots of pictures here, so I will try not to say too much.

Thanks to Dad I. and Lesley for taking us on this amazing trip to NYC!

waiting for the amtrak going from albany to penn station

Lesley and Dad I.

us.

inside the train

just a fun shot. that white headed guy is Dad I.

Statue of Liberty through the fog. we could have taken the ferry to get closer, but it was too cold.

View of the statue from Battery Park

$5.  Thanks Dad I. 

The Sphere. on display in battery park

Musician in battery park.  Pretty cool instrument.

This was one of my must-have stops.  We didn't have much time though and it was sooo crowded.  Can't wait to visit another one.

New world trade center tower under construction.   We didn't get to go on the 9/11 tour, but did walk around it and peaked through the gates.



Bob.  M&M guy. Dad I.  evidently everyone thinks that Dad I. loves M&Ms so we decided that this would be a funny picture to take.

Taking a break after walking 17 blocks in the wrong direction.  Is that a real smile?

Inside the Empire State building.

Empire State building.  No way was I going up there.

Rockefeller Plaza.

 The elusive Lego store.  We loved the pick-a-brick wall!

Waterfall in Trump Tower

Apple store.  We didn't go in.  Maybe Bob would have been too tempted to impulse purchase an iPad? 
Central Park.  I seriously could have just spent all day there.  Such a beautiful place.

Serendipity 3.  1 1/2 hour wait.  We had no idea.  So disappointing.

Grand Central Station.

Empire State building - green for St. Patrick's day.

We left Dad I's house at about 7am.  Rode the Amtrak from Albany, NY to Penn Station.  Took a subway to Battery Park where we saw the Statue of Liberty and The Sphere.  Got our picture taken with a Statue of Liberty guy.  Took a taxi to Ground Zero.  Shopped at Century 21.  Walked around the WTC construction site.  Bob had a hot dog from a street vendor.  Dad I, Lesley and I ate across the street at Burger King (it's what was close).  Walked & Walked.  Took a subway to Times Square.  Bought a snowglobe at a gift shop (and accidentally packed it in our carry-on, but we did make it home with it. Miracle).  Shopped in the Disney store.  Looked around the M&M store.  Looked around the Hershey store.  Walked 17 blocks in the wrong direction.  Took another subway to Rockefeller Plaza.  Shoped at the Lego store.  Went inside the Empire State building and Trump Tower.  Walked to Central park.  Walked to Serendipity 3.  Tired and hungry, so we stopped for dinner at Brasserie 360.  Taxi to Grand Central Station. Taxi to Penn Station. Amtrak to Albany, NY. Home at about 11:30pm.

Side note.  Taxis are not so expensive compared to taking the Subway when in a group of 4.  We paid $10 (2.50each) every time we rode the subway.  But our short taxi trips were usually only about $7-8 and were a lot less stressful.  With the subways, you have to decide which one to get on and what stop is closest to where you want to be - plus they're crowded and smell gross.  Taxis took us from where we stood to where we needed/wanted to be. Nice.


Side note #2.  The locals must think it's funny to give completely wrong directions to tourists.  We asked 3 different people how to get to Rockefeller Plaza and all 3 gave us completely different directions.

No comments: